[Zope] IPC 9 News?

Chris McDonough chrism@digicool.com
Thu, 8 Mar 2001 18:10:34 -0500

The Zope track went well...

Andy McKay demoed Perl for Zope, and although I missed most of his
presentation, I thought his use of the Tolkien Calendar module for Perl
inside Zope demonstrated the usefulness of the Perl for Zope stuff pretty
well.  Python doesn't have a Tolkien Calendar module.  ;-)

Jim gave a talk about presentation templates which went over well...

We had a BOF (birds of a feather) about Enterprise Zope that illustrated
some challenges folks have running Zope in an "enterprise" environment.

There was also a CMF BOF (in the bar, of course ;-)

Two presentations were given by Michel Pelletier (well, one and a half,
actually)... one on Interfaces and the other on documentation process.

Paul Everitt gave a state of the Zope address, and as usual, accepted all
the blame.  ;-)

Steve Spicklemire demoed and explained ZCVSMixin, very interesting.

George Lively gave a great presentation on using extreme programming in the
context of Zope.  Complete with foozball pictures.

Carlos de la Guardia gave a presentation on using Zpoe as a standard web
development platform, which was an interesting perspective.

Chuck Esterbrook demoed WebWare for Python, which is like a Python
implementation of Java servlets... you can use a bunch of Zope stuff in
there too.

Titus Brown asked us for tech info on how to integrate Zope and AOLServer...
I couldn't help him too much unfortunately.  Ethan seemed pretty jazzed
about the idea, hopefully we can talk with him some more.

Phillip Eby gave a talk on TransWarp and the future of ZPatterns.  I didn't
attend, as he had given us an overview of transwarp in the office.

John Ehresman and Stephan Deibel gave a talk on using Wing IDE to debug Zope
and Zope products... I didn't attend this one unfortunately.

Mark Hammond gave a talk about .NET that I did attend.... doesn't look like
its very useful in the context of Zope.  I unfortunately missed Paul Dubois'
talk on SOAP and Python, which would have been much more useful.

We helped Bruce Eckel (ANSI C++ committee member and keynote speaker at the
conference) get his personal website running on Zope.  That was fun.  He
also gave a great keynote about why he loves Zope.

Christian Tismer presented on Stackless Python:  "Programming the way Guido
prevented it" (the tshirt slogan for DC at the conference was "programming
the way Guido indented it").

There's a bunch of other stuff that I've forgotten or left out
intentionally.  One other important thing is the Digital Creations (with
honorary members Frederick Lundh, Arnus?, and Chris Tismer) lost to
ActiveState in a drinking contest on Wed. night.  Those canadians can drink.

- C