[Zope] IPC9 Thoughts aka YACR

ender kthangavelu@earthlink.net
Fri, 9 Mar 2001 20:58:02 -0800

yikes, i should have looked this over before i posted. some minor corrections.

>>-Pythonlabs goes ZODB
>>   - nough said
>>   - new berkely db zodb storage (no reference counting).
>>   - multimaster replication is good for you. (many moons will pass).

should read
new berkely db zodb storage  (does reference counting, no packing needed)

>>- I need more speed Scotty,
>>philip elby and ty sarna are back at it again. they're trying to make your
>>head hurt, but this time they're armed with documentation, so the not so
>> oo, AOP, GP, enlightened can grasp on to something.
>>
>>meet transwarp, the successor to zpatterns. (interestingly enough philip
>>admitted that zpatterns was one glorious hack on delegation in zope). and
>>even better its not zope dependent. um... i can't really say much about
>> this one just check out philip's zope.org page for more info.
>>
>>he started weaving and i started dodging:)
>>
>>between this and the component technology that should come into zope

things will be getting interesting for zope developers.

>> zopitistas take note, these guys are seriously
>>investigating replacing zserver with aolserver. besides having a high
>>performance web server written in c, it will also allow you much greater
>>flexibility in caching, since you can use aolserver to cache in memory
>>(shared by all threads).

incidentally mikeH was telling me that aolserver running pywx has a memory
footprint of like 4-6MB, thats almost unbelievable for what your getting.

also, if you download aolserver make sure to get 3.3 (released yesterday), if
you're using 3.2 there is a nasty memory leak from tcl8x threads not being
finalized patch available @
http://www.workspot.net/~rhubarb/aolserver/memory-leak/

>>-berkely db - robin dunn, updated cvs sometime today, because i just got
>> the latest berkely db 3.2.9 linked up with bddb3 (the python module), and
>> it passed the 130 odd unit tests included. very cool, nice work robin.

you can get the interface at http://pybsddb.sourceforge.net

ok most people familiar with python have probably heard about guido's project
CP4E (computer programming for everyone) where python would be used to teach
programming to laymen. after going to this years python conference (at which
it was announced CP4E as a formal project is dead), i'd like to start a new
project. Python 4 Women. the male/female ratio at this year's conference was
absurd (it had to be over 80:1). guys help get the word out, python is easy,
python is fun, python will do your laundry.

cheers

kapil