[Zope] How to check if a string contains some characters??

David Burton eloquence@eloquent-designs.f2s.com
Tue, 13 Mar 2001 09:58:10 -0000

A good point.

Most modern browsers will have Javascript enabled, so it's generally not
such a problem, though.
A significant percentage of sites won't work at all without Javascript
enabled.

Many shopping carts use Javascript, most forms use Javascript for
validation, and many sites use Javascript to pop up windows at an
appropriate size - I normally consider this beneficial - apart from the
pop-ups from free hosting and warez sites.

That said, I'm not suggesting that you can avoid server-side validation -
rather that it is much faster to at least try to handle things like this.
Given that many visitors are liable to be on a dial-up connection, they
don't really want to have to wait nearly a minute to get a response that
they entered an invalid character. Even on a T1 the delays from going
server-side for things like this can be annoying because it's unnecessary.

Both Python and Javascript (1.2) have regular expressions, so you can work
out the right validation expression and use it both client and server-side
anyway.

David