[Zope] Large File Support ?!

David Kyte david.kyte@microamps.com
Tue, 20 Mar 2001 16:56:00 -0000

Does this mean that there is not a 2gig limit on
windows98/NT etc?

-----Original Message-----
From: zope-admin@zope.org [mailto:zope-admin@zope.org]On Behalf Of Bill
Anderson
Sent: 20 March 2001 16:36
To: zope@zope.org
Subject: Re: [Zope] Large File Support ?!

On 20 Mar 2001 14:04:25 +0100, karthick ramanarayanan wrote:
> Hi,
>    First,the 2 Gig Limit is a problem with 32 bit systems because of the
signed int offset,which gives you an upper limit of 2^31 -1 bytes.
> But,you can check if your system supports higher file sizes.
> For example,a 'ulimit -f` on my RHL 6.2,printed 'unlimited'.
> I presume I should be able to create 2 GIG files and access them
successfully.Anyway you can also alternatively check the /etc/login.defs
file for any ULIMIT Definitions.

That would be an incorrect presumption, IIRC.IIRC, ulimit only reports
that which the sysadmin
 has limited you to. To get LFS, you need amodified kernel (or 2.4.x).
For RHL7.x, you want
the 'enterpise' kernel rpm installed, and then, of course, to boot said
kernel.
The other route is, of course, upgrade to 2.4.x (where x >=2, IMO), or
get the LFS patch,
apply, and build.

Bill