[Zope] creating a file on a client

Casey Duncan cduncan@kaivo.com
Wed, 21 Mar 2001 10:03:05 -0700

Tom Deprez wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to let a client-pc log into a Zope Server with a request send
> some information,
> The Zope Server handles the request and sends a file with data to a
> directory on the client...
>
> Is this possible? How can I let Zope put a file on a clients directory
> (through python.?)
>
> Thanks for any ideas.
>
> Tom.

If you are asking if a web server can create a file in an arbitrary
directory on a client, the answer is a definite no. This would be a very
bad thing(tm). However a browser can create files on clients in two
ways:

Setting a cookie creates a file, but is unlikely what you want because
it is a browser specific file.

All browsers support file downloads. If the browser doesn't know what to
do with the file (it does not have a helper-app or plug-in associated
with it) it will ask the user to save the file. The user can then place
the file in an directory he/she wants to. You could make this file an
executable that when run (by the user) places a files in any directory
you want (like an installer).

If you are dealing with clients on an internal network, you could write
a program that facilitates this either as a browser helper-app or a
standalone application. There are serious security implications to this
however.

What is you purpose in doing this? perhaps there is a different
approach.

--