[Zope] creating a file on a client

Tom Deprez tom.deprez@uz.kuleuven.ac.be
Wed, 21 Mar 2001 18:46:43 +0100

> What is you purpose in doing this? perhaps there is a different
> approach.

It is intended for using it at an intranet. At the moment several clients
search a database and return a file on a certain directory which is then
read and used by another pc. This means that on all clients certain database
libraries, perl libraries, etc have to be installed and updated now and
then.
In a wild idee, we would like to get rid of this system and if possible use
one point on which the database libraries (etc) need to be installed. The
client then asks on that computer for searching the information. The server
returns it back and places a file on the client, so that the other program
can use it, like it does before.
I can be that on a later stage, people need a sort of gui to make a
selection out of a list of data. Selecting one will create the file. The gui
will probably be the webbrowser.
The problem is that it in fact should work automatically, ie in the first
fase (thus no list) the user should not have to click on a button to
download the file. This would be too annoying since I guess then they have
to push that button every 5 minutes... Same for the list, clicking on a row
should automatically create the file.
The benefits of this central station is off course that we only have to
change things on one place...
I think Zope would be very helpfull... At the moment we've a perl script to
connect to the database. We could probably just use this one in the testing
fase (Perl scripts or External Perl Methods). If we need to create the
gui... Zope would do just fine.
But is it possible?

Tom.