[Zope] start problem linux

ghaley@mail.venaca.com ghaley@mail.venaca.com
Mon, 26 Mar 2001 11:43:39 -0500 (EST)

> Assuming /opt/zope is the Zope installation directory...
>
> This is bad advice. At most, make var/ and the files in it owned by
> nobody.nobody, so that the Zope process can write there.
>
> Zope executables and Python programs should not be writeable by the process
> executing off them. A bug or a security vulnerability (IOW, a bug with
> security implications) may permit an intruder to write to inituser/access
> or do other nasty stuff TTW, if the Zope process can write to those files.

	thanks for the warning, though our sysadmin was not even aware of
it (and he is the most paranoid person i know!).  so, let's take a general
/opt/zope directory, where you will have.

	drwxr-xr-x    4 nobody   nobody     Extensions
	drwxrwxr-x    4 nobody   nobody     ZServer
	-rwxr-xr-x    1 nobody   nobody     Zope.cgi
	-rw-------    1 nobody   nobody     access
	-rw-r--r--    1 nobody   nobody     custom_zodb.py
	-rw-r--r--    1 nobody   nobody     custom_zodb.pyc
	drwxrwxr-x    3 nobody   nobody     doc
	-rw-r--r--    1 nobody   nobody     event.log
	drwxrwxr-x    2 nobody   nobody     import
	drwxrwxr-x    2 nobody   nobody     inst
	drwxrwxr-x    4 nobody   nobody     lib
	drwxrwxr-x    7 nobody   nobody     pcgi
	-rwx--x--x    1 nobody   nobody     start
	-rwx--x--x    1 nobody   nobody     stop
	drwxrwxr-x    2 nobody   nobody     utilities
	drwxrwxr-x    2 nobody   nobody     var
	-rw-r--r--    1 nobody   nobody     w_pcgi.py
	-rw-r--r--    1 nobody   nobody     w_pcgi.pyc
	-rw-r--r--    1 nobody   nobody     wo_pcgi.py
	-rw-r--r--    1 nobody   nobody     wo_pcgi.pyc
	-rw-r--r--    1 nobody   nobody     z2.py
	-rw-r--r--    1 nobody   nobody     z2.pyc
	-rw-r--r--    1 nobody   nobody     zProcessManager.pid
	-rw-r--r--    1 nobody   nobody     zpasswd.py
	-rw-r--r--    1 nobody   nobody     zpasswd.pyc

what should be owned as nobody.nobody; and who should the owner/group of
the other be?

i've been advising people about the owner/group based on what i understood
from other literature, and i want to make sure that the advice is not
creating a trap-door for crackers and other bad guys to get in.

ciao!
greg.

Gregory Haley
DBA/Web Programmer.