[Zope] A typical Zope problem

Tim Cook tim@freepm.org
Mon, 26 Mar 2001 20:38:54 -0600

Chris Cioffi wrote:

> I know this is a common complaint, but I just found a particularly nasty
> example:

> applications.  (We won't go near Products...)  I know I have the source,
> great, will you pay my salary for the next 2 months while I get a grip on
> that?  I don't have time otherwise.  I'm able to spend a little time
> learning, but the cost/benefit equation is making me think that Zope just
> isn't ready for prime time, which is a shame since I looks like Zope could
> provide a quantum leap foreward in making the web the platform of choice.

Since the first part of your comments were addressed already.
I'll take on the second part. <s>
If you would, reread what you wrote above.

Think about it. You wrote those words based on 'a' frustration.
The pieces don't fit. Whether you look at it from an economic or
technological view.

You said; "looks like Zope could provide a quantum leap foreward
in making the web the platform of choice."

So this means that you realize that there is long-term benefit in
using Zope. Yet, your 'cost/benefit equation' seems to be based
on a short-term analysis.

Is there another application framework that you already know
well? If not, then you will have to spend some time getting
ramped up with something.  If you already have a tool that pays
your salary, then you could spread out your Zope study over a
longer period of time based on how much you can devote to it
now.  The payoff is being proficient with Zope in the future.

Before I ever installed Zope I spent several weeks reading this
list. Of course I didn't (still don't) read every post. But, you
can gain a lot of knowledge seeing where other people are having
& solving problems.

In the past few months using Zope, I have gone to the source code
maybe three times to find an answer.  The list archives are a
gold mine (thank you NIP, Ltd.) The HOWTOs are great (thank you
authors). Just think about how much I have improved on my library
science skills. <vbg>

> I know this sounds just like a whiny complaint, but this is a complaint born
> out of a frustration at seeing what I think is a really great platform being
> relegated to a niche because the documentation isn't well organized.

ZDP volunteers are always welcomed. <s>
A couple of weeks working hard on that project will show you
where all the info is located AND be a service to the company &
community that gave you Zope and all those great products.

Cost = $0.00
Benefit = (you get to decide)

That's a pretty good ratio no matter how you look at it.

Have a great week,
--
Tim Cook, President - FreePM,Inc.
http://www.FreePM.com Office: (901) 884-4126