[Zope] Using Zope and MySQL

Gerrie Roos gerrie@trispen.com
Tue, 27 Mar 2001 15:04:12 +0200

I've been very fortunate, it seems...I'm totally new to Python/Zope/MySQL and I
got the lot working without a glitch.  I'm running FreeBSD4.2, but I can't
think that things should be that much harder on Linux....here's how I did
it....

-  Python 2 installed and running OK
-  Zope 2.3.0 installed and running OK ...I assume you got this far, maybe
different versions though...
-  Installed mysql-client-3.23.35 (not a Zope product, but the client part of
the MySQL suite) from a package...I think this package is available for Linux
too...This is needed to be able to do the following step.  I chose the package
and not the source not to embarras myself hunting down system specific compile
options and paths and stuff...
-  Got hold of MySQL-python-0.3.5.tar.gz  (ZOPE DA) from zope.org I
think...Untarred the lot and read the README file....there's some special
mention of Linux and other package-based releases of mysql(client) installed in
the previous step...seems you MIGHT have to look for a 'developers' package
too, but I tried without and it worked.  I noticed README could cause some
confusion on exactly what you need to install first...it says 'MySQL 3.22.19 or
higher', but I understood I need (in my case) only mysql-client-3.23.35 or
something similar...you don't need something like mysql-server-xx.xx.xx, cause
the server could be run anywhere else.  Of course, you could install the server
too, but that's an entirely different matter.  So make sure you've got the
'server' thingie installed from the previous step, and maybe something like
mysql-devel-3.23.35, in your case.
-  So up to now I didn't compile anything.  mysql-client was a package, and
MySQL-python from the previous step is just sitting there untarred.  The README
mentions stuff you might need to hack in setup.py, but I didn't touch it, and I
don't think you'd need to.  Then I just did as they say in the README:  python
setup.py build  and python setup.py install.  The whole cadoodle just went
fine.
-  I stopped my Zope (./stop from zope folder) and restarted it (./start).
-  Connected to Zope as admin, and saw the item 'Z mySQL Database Connection'
added to the add new items box.

Needless to say, I've been able to really use the mySQL connection in Zope.  It
seems you've downloaded another version/distribution of the Zope mySQL DA that
you've had to 'make'.  Have you tried 'gmake'?  Otherwise, go for the
MySQL-python-0.3.5.tar.gz file I used.

lemme know if it works...