[Zope] PHP as a scripting language for Zope

Luciano Ramalho luciano@hiper.com.br
Wed, 28 Mar 2001 13:14:18 -0300

Chris Withers wrote:
> We all eagerly await these products of yours, please let us know where =
we
> can download them from :-)
>=20
> I love open source...

We also love open source, and we contribute to Zope as much as we can.=20

Our first development contribution to Zope was HiperDOM, an experimental
DOM-based template system which was recognized by DC as a key motivator
in the development of the new Presentation Templates. We have ceased
further development of HiperDOM after DC announced ZPT, but you can
download what we did at Zope.org.=20

Now we are focusing our best development efforts on ZUnit, a XUnit-like
testing framework to support Extreme Programming in Zope. We intend to
post a new version shortly at Zope.org, but an early draft has been
available for a while now. The new version will allow the creation of
test suites within the Zope Management Interface.

However, I believe our greatest contribution so far has been to increase
the mindshare of Zope in Brazil, the 8th largest IT market in the World,
and one even more dominated by Microsoft than the US domestic market.=20

We have been the loudest Zope evangelists in our country since early
1999. We have installed Zope in AOL's Brazilian web site, on IDG's local
news site and in many other sites belonging to important local brands.
We've also trained more than 50 developers in Zope, including software
engineers from the Brazilian Federal Senate and from Conectiva, the
company behind the most popular Linux distribution in our country. And
we are very active at the Portuguese-speaking Zope list.

We are proudly sponsoring Paul Everitt as a Key-note speaker in the next
edition of Linux Expo next May in S=E3o Paulo, and are organizing a Zope
and Python track with three talks and one tutorial in that show.

As for PHP and other languages, we would not use them ourselves, as we
are very satisfied with Python, like I said earlier. I was just
expressing my feeling that such support could be useful in popularizing
Zope, and I never intended to start even a small flame war. But I guess
programming languages is always an inflammable topic... My apologies to
everyone.

This is a great community, and as much as we can, and in spite of
misunderstandings and language barriers, we love to be an active part of
it!

Best regards,

Luciano Ramalho