[Zope] SimpleItem objects behaving wierdly

Nolan Darilek nolan_d@bigfoot.com
Wed, 28 Mar 2001 16:55:37 -0600

I have a product which consists of 2 other objects which, though they
are available via the management interface, can't be added unless
they're added into a specific location. But I've noticed that, when
examined within the specific location, the object type doesn't show
up. And, when clicking on the object type to edit its properties, it
seems to be treated like a folder and not as it is supposed to be.

The product consists of 3 objects. WorkMarket is the object which
stores all other objects, contains the site UI, etc. It is a folderish
object with subfolders for jobs and projects.

The subfolders aren't vanilla folders; they're folderish objects with
a few extra methods. Despite the fact that their metatypes are
different ('WorkRequestHolder' and 'ProjectHolder') they are still
listed as Folder objects.

Finally, there are WorkRequests and Projects. Despite the fact that
these are descendants of SimpleItem, their types aren't even listed
when the folder is viewed; the table cell is blank.

I really didn't pay much attention to this until today, when trying to
work on the management screens. Basically, I want the properties form
to appear when the WorkRequest/Project is clicked on. Here is my
manage_options and _properties from WorkRequest:

    manage_options = ( # what management options are there?
	{'label': 'Properties',       'action': 'manage_propertiesForm'},
	{'label': 'View',       'action': ''}, # defaults to index_html
	{'label': 'Security',   'action': 'manage_access'},
        )

    _properties = (        {'id':'description', 'type':'lines', 'mode':'w'},
        {'id':'classification', 'type':'string', 'mode':'w'},
        {'id':'projects', 'type':'list', 'mode':'w'},
        {'id':'projects', 'type':'list', 'mode':'w'},
        )

Clicking on the WorkRequest does the following:

1.  Takes me to a properties display with only the title property.

2.  Lists my WorkRequest as a folder object ('Folder at <url>'), and
    not as its metatype.

3.  Produces a list of tabs identical to those for the folder object.

I really don't know what I'm doing wrong, or what additional
information to provide. Is 'manage_propertiesForm' not the method to
call to manage properties on SimpleItem objects? Or am I missing
something else? What additional information can I offer to help
resolve this?