[Zope] problem with External Methods

Chris McDonough chrism@digicool.com
Mon, 30 Apr 2001 23:42:58 -0400

> Yeah, the file is just a class.  So if I put this line in the file:
>
> m = mp3info()
>
> Then I could import m?

No (because class instances aren't functions, although they can masquerade
as one.. in this case it's just not worth it).  You really want to make a
Product.  External methods are most useful for short functions, and they get
really awkward when you combine them with classes due to security assertions
that need be made, pickleability of class instances, and other things that
can bite you.  In short, don't.  ;-)

> > It seems like you really want to be building a Product.  See the Zope
> > Developer's Guide at http://www.zope.org/Documentation/ZDG for
information
> > on how to do this.
>
> Yeah, that's what I'm working on...  I was trying to do it with ZClasses,
> make dealing with the property sheets easier, but I kinda figured out how
> do that in python, so I'm just doing the whole thing in python.
>
> I'm sure I'll have lots more questions before I'm done :)

No problem...

- C