[Zope] writing dtml on zope.org

Joachim Werner joe@iuveno-net.de
Wed, 2 May 2001 10:47:10 +0200

> The issue is that right now anybody is a yahoo account away from being
able
> to write arbitrary DTML on zope.org, and that this has brought zope.org to
> it's knees in the past.
>
> What if there was a standard page for presenting your contributions, that
> your contributions could have html in them, and if you were interested in
> providing different ways to view member folders, you could get permission
> and create a skin that then anyone could select?
>
> Esp. if that skin could cover more than just member folders, but the
entire
> site?

I think for the "normal" user it is perfectly fine to limit him to what the
CMF framework can offer. However, there might be "power users" who
contribute functionality to zope.org on their member sites. These people
would probably need special treatment (and they would NOT be a real danger
to zope.org like the anonymous yahoo account user).

Maybe we need more roles on zope.org (e.g. "managing editor" permissions for
a certain section like a project homepage or so). There has been a lot of
discussion in EuroZope land on how zope.org could become more like
sourceforge (i.e. offer more functionality for developers, better search for
products etc.).

I think what zope.org really needs before you start the redesign is a proper
analysis of all the target groups and a concept for each. Zope offers so
many ways to present different content views and functionalities (i.e.
portals) to let's say a journalist than to a hardcore Python developer. The
aim for zope.org should be making it one of the best Zope sites and one of
the best dynamic sites in the web ...

Joachim