[Zope] [ANN] zshell: The Zope Shell

Jason Cunliffe jasonic@nomadicsltd.com
Thu, 3 May 2001 08:18:04 -0400

> I'm pleased to announce you the Zope Shell version 0.001.

Jerome

That is beautiful!!

Using 'ls' in Zope makes one thing about what it is in new ways.. its an
interesting paradigm mapping.  It would be nice to show depth and complexity
via 'ls'

Similar to ls -la etc..

How many folder-like containers lie within?
How many objects are in them?
Who owns them
How big

Piping would be cool..
'grep' would be lovely too

ls -l | grep '^d'

Perhaps ZopeShell grep is what is needed to manage permissions ?

oh my you have started something VirtualShellMonster:-)

Dreams_Department
I was just looking again at lightening fast, tiny RDBMS called Kdb from Kx
Systems and wondering about how it might work with Zope.
http://www.kx.com

download and play around..

Now playing with your new shell really makes me wonder serisouly about Zope
interpreter. One can use python to but not at the same time as Zope is
running. So I gguess the reick woudl be to harness the two ideas. Youtrs is
cool becuae the semantic is well understood [up to a point] In zope it takes
a long time to gather a familiar consistent vocabulary, and it still lacks
the concise simplicity of shellscripts.

I wonder if there if there's some meaningful way to integrate your 'jaxml'
code into all this. So that one can create xml on the fly inside of the
environemnt it is describing. I have played with jaml a little as a means to
create Zopescripts and then tested with various XML parsing tools in Zope.

I was exploring was how to quickly 'sketch' an outline  zope site. If you
don't liek throw it away adn satrt again. If it is good then flesh it out..

It is very boring to click on all those 'OK' buttons and watch the HTML
screen keep redrawing. Sitting with potential clients for Zopesites really
brings this home, I notice that what one really wants to do is take a few
lines of compact code and immediately generate the named folders with simple
properties, and dummy dethods/documents etc. Saves lots of Time add and very
useful templating and Zope design asset.

in other words jaxml meets

mkdir [folder]
touch [method|document]

meets ParsedXML

./Jason
Jason CUNLIFFE = NOMADICS['Interactive Art and Technology']