[Zope] TUX and Zope? + ab results

Andreas Jung Andreas Jung" <andreas@andreas-jung.com
Thu, 3 May 2001 12:57:23 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: <sean.upton@uniontrib.com>
To: <zope@zope.org>
Sent: Thursday, May 03, 2001 12:24 PM
Subject: RE: [Zope] TUX and Zope? + ab results

> Caching w/ TUX, AFAIK, isn't going to be as efficient as Squid.  I think
> that likely the reason is that TUX is a webserver and not a cache, and
that
> (if TUX can cache; I think it can just proxy!) the overhead to proxying
> likely mitigates a lot of the magic marshmallows in TUX like Zero Copy,
> checksum caching, etc - a network copy is going to add latency, and cache
> machinery is going to eat some CPU cycles.  Somebody correct me if I am
> mistaken here.
>
> Tux might work well with ExtImage/ExtFile and TUX's machinery for serving
> some URLs and passing on others to another server (Apache, ZServer...).
For
> predictable content, that is served over and over, seems like Squid in
http
> accelerator mode is a better solution...

The idea to integrate Python and Zope into the Linux kernel is cool. But
only for the purpose
to say "I am a cool geek - I am running Python in my kernel" :-)

Anyway....you would not get a major speedup by integration all the stuff in
the kernel because
it would increase the speed of Zope and Python significantly.

Andreas