[Zope] Question about cache management

Oliver Bleutgen Oliver Bleutgen <myzope@gmx.net>
Fri, 4 May 2001 23:45:41 +0200

> On Fri, 4 May 2001 16:04:06 +0200, Oliver Bleutgen <myzope@gmx.net>
> wrote:

>>Has anybody found a nice strategy to cleverly
>>handle this kind of situation?

> Two options:

> PULL: scrounge modification times from all the individual objects that
> make up your page, every time the page is requested.

> PUSH: modify the critical methods that modify the state of the objects
> that make up your page, so that they maintain some global
> last-modified value.

> The best solution may be a combination of both.

I would tend to the second option (right now the objects
are all instances of the same zclass, so I have to touch just
one "edit"-method).
One problem is that there's still a timespan in which the
proxy will deliver old content, and the problem is to purge
the stale cached content - I'm talking about apache's
mod_proxy here, which seems not to have a "purge" like squid.

My idea is to extend the "push" method to also
get the page with zclient with the headers

pragma: no-cache
cache-control: no-cache

in order to get mod_proxy to revalidate the
document.

Any ideas someone if this is an ok approach?

cheers,
oliver