[Zope] Zope as Portal Server

Brad Clements bkc@murkworks.com
Sat, 5 May 2001 14:31:04 -0400

On 5 May 2001, at 11:03, dave@kovach.com wrote:

> thats very cool Brad.
>
> You could transform it via XSLT prior to browser though... so, end to end
> it works for anyone...

Sorry, that's what I meant. The portal server selects a stylesheet (provided with the
gadget) to customize the output for IE, netscape or WAP.

> What are YOUR thoughts using a Zope backed architecture in place of
> something like NPS or iPlanet portal server etc.???

Don't know anything about iPlanet, but I think this would be pretty straightforward with
Zope.

NPS does a lot more however, it allows the administrator to customize what the user
can see/select. There's a hierarchy of settings/authority/views etc that is tightly
integrated with NDS (eDirectory). You could model this on LDAP.

> what does your gadget for NPS interface with? or is it a generic interface
> to anything?

It's a daily fortune, like the Unix fortune program. I wrote it as a sample Jython servlet to
see if I can get it published in Novell's AppNotes "Creating NPS gadgets using Jython"