[Zope] Zope as Portal Server

Cees de Groot cg@cdegroot.com
5 May 2001 21:42:58 +0200

 <dave@kovach.com> said:
>Another way to think of this is using ZOPE as an integration layer between many different enterprise applications via the web.
>
>Its great at Content Management (a Portal of sorts)
>and other intended uses - seems like its functionality could be geared around the above too. You then have total control of an enterprises web-offerings to public, employees, vendors all in one place too.

I've experimented a bit with the XML/RPC "proxy" product, using it not to
connect to another Zope instance but to an XML/RPC server running in
Smalltalk. It works OK, and I think it is a nice starting point for thinking
about enterprise integration work. Using XML/RPC or SOAP to talk from a Zope
server to other applications is not very hard, but what's needed is a
collection of patterns around the creation of sessions, collection of state,
the sort of interface you want to present to Zope so that the work best done
in Zope goes as smoothly as possible, etcetera.

For me, it's a very big missing item in the Zope toolbox.