[Zope] Re: [ZPT] index_html a script, not a template

Evan Simpson evan@digicool.com
Mon, 7 May 2001 23:07:22 -0400

From: "Peter Bengtsson" <mail@peterbe.com>
> I.e. I start with a template and most likely end up in a template.
>
> Am I alone on using templating objects for URL-hitting objects?

Not at all.  Both patterns have their place, and making code objects primary
is a relatively new idiom.

> What are the
> implications (performance, scalability in terms of feature changes, etc.)
of
> using Python Scripts or External Method instead of templates?

Not "instead of", but rather "in control of".  The idea is that once you
have more than a little code in your template, you might benefit from
factoring it out into a setup Script that does a bunch of logic and then
passes a set of variables to the template.

> Is there a paradigm shift with these promising Page Templates (see quote
> above)?

I think that it has more to do with the rise of Python Scripts, although
part of the Page Template philosophy is to avoid embedding non-presentation
logic.

Cheers,

Evan @ digicool