[Zope] listservs, forums and Zope...

Barry A. Warsaw barry@digicool.com
Fri, 11 May 2001 10:44:55 -0400

    DL> I'd be very interested in looking into this, but I need some
    DL> hints on where to start looking. Is there a description of how
    DL> mailman works internally or is it just a question of finding
    DL> tiume to "user the source, Luke"?

Yup.
   =20
    DL> Specifically, I'd like to start by getting users from a SQL
    DL> database, and being able to dynamically changes what lists a
    DL> user belongs to.

The primary thing to realize with Mailman 2.x is that each mailing
list maintains its own membership rosters.  You might be a member of
both zope@zope.org and zodb-dev@zope.org, but there's no sharing of
your account information between those two lists.

It's likely that Mailman 2.1 will contain hooks on a per-list basis so
that an individual mailing list can get additional membership
information out of an external source.  Federating the user database
in the way you want is a Project for Mailman 3.0.

-Barry