[Zope] Summary: Webdav security(hole?)question.

Antwan Reijnen antwan@dexus.nl
Mon, 14 May 2001 11:11:27 +0200

Hi All, Chris (suspicious), Tim  (FreePM), Joachim (Explorere remembers
password),

Thanks for contributions on the WebDAV thread. I digged a little into it,
and I can now shamefully say that my observations on WebDAV were not
completely correct (blush). So here is my summary:

Thanks to Chris and Tim, I re-examined the security-policy of my
Zopeserver. And was very surprized to see that the access contents
information permission was default assigned to role anonymous. I changed
this immediately. This put me in the wrong direction: after changing my
manager-passwordt, I could still browse through my Zope-site with
WebFolder, without being asked for a new password. I understand this now...
I changed from manager to anonymous from the perspective of the WebFolder,
and anonymous could browse through the system. Because I saw no change in
behaviour on the WebFolder side, I thought nothing had changed. But it did:
I could'nt write or change files anymore: here the long awaited
username/password dialog finally showed up. Phew... sorry about this, I
should have examined this more carefully... My preliminary false conclusion
was by the way supported by the fact that the first windows2000 site I
tried to access via WebDAV was completely open (yes, with write supported),
no password required...

Chris and Tim: I agree completely with you that the securitypolicy via
WebDAV should be the same as via the http methods.

Tim: of course, I could not gain access to FreePM ;-)

Joachim: thanks to your email I understand why my new Zope installation
(2.3.1 -> 2.3.2) did not require new authentication via WebDAV. Thanks Bill
:-(

So: thank you all very much. I will creep back in my hole, and go shame
myself :-)

Goodbey! Greetings, Antwan.