[Zope] Crazy Problem With Having to Restart Zope Won't Go Away!

Ben Ocean zope@thewebsons.com
Mon, 14 May 2001 13:46:16 -0700

At 03:14 PM 5/14/2001 -0500, you wrote:
> > For some reason, from what I can judge a bug in the source code that
> > affects some unfortunate ones such as myself, ZServer crashes every few
> > hours and has to be re-started. So I wrote this script:
>
>What file is this bug in?
>What line number?

I don't know. All I know is that from the discussion on this list last
week, I discovered *several* people have had a problem with the ZServer
quitting for no apparent reason since the early days of Zope. Now, that
sounds like a bug to me.

So I've come up with a work-around.

You seem like you know programming and Zope better than I. Would you mind
helping me? Here's my question:

For some reason, ZServer crashes every few hours and has to be re-started.
So I wrote this script:

#!/bin/sh
while :
# if there's a page there, copy it to a test file
do `wget -q -t 3 -T 30 http://thewebsons.com:8080/index_html -O test`
# if there's something in the test file, go take a nap
if grep '^<' test
then
sleep 60
# whoops! Why the heck does RH6.2 complain there's no ./start file??
Sometimes it complains, sometimes not. Hmmm...
else if ./start
then
./start &
sleep 60
else
sleep 10
fi
fi
done
<<<
and just let the fool thing run (in the Zope installation). But now I get
error messages stating ./start doesn't exist! That's why the *else if*
stuff, but it _still isn't good enough! Come back hours later and Zope's
dead as a doornail. Furthermore, my script's not running, either. I don't
get it! What am I not seeing?
TIA,
BenO
P.S. If there were a way to keep my ZServer from crashing *without* this
script, sure would like to know what it is...