[Zope] Crazy Problem With Having to Restart Zope Won't Go Away!

Ben Ocean zope@thewebsons.com
Mon, 14 May 2001 15:15:36 -0700

At 05:59 PM 5/14/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>Actually, I believe several people have reported that Zope *hangs* on them,
>for unknown reasons.  I didn't see a corroborative report of Zope *crashing*
>on them.  These are likely (at least) two distinct problems.

Ah! Thank you: I see, now.

>I'd like to help you.  I'd like to help everybody, actually.  But I can't
>without a little help from you.  Providing a bug report that says "Zope
>crashes/hangs on me, I can't establish a pattern, it happens at all times of
>the day, and I haven't spend any time narrowing the symptoms down any
>further" is a bug report that I can't do much with.  I can ask you for more
>information (which I've done), but otherwise I'm fairly helpless.
>
>We've solved these sorts of problems in the past with help from folks who
>were able/willing to narrow down the problem to a replicable test case.  If
>you can spend the time to do the same, we can likely solve it or at least
>provide a workaround.

The only information I have thus far is that my little shell script
complains that it can't find the ./start script, even after it's found it
before. Perhaps it starts Zope, checks on Zope, then when Zope crashes
suddenly it can no longer find the ./start file. But I can find it! It
hasn't gone anywhere. Then, equally inexplicably, my infinite loop script dies.

I created a STUPID_LOG_FILE and made the appropriate changes (to ./start, I
believe) but nothing's been reported. I just now made a log file for my
shell script. We'll see if it catches anything.

I *have* noticed this:

2001-05-14T22:02:57 INFO(0) ZServer HTTP server started at Mon May 14
15:02:57 2
001
         Hostname: thor.ccom.net
         Port: 8080
------
2001-05-14T22:02:57 INFO(0) ZServer FTP server started at Mon May 14
15:02:57 20
01
         Hostname: thewebsons.com
         Port: 8021
<<<
where the Hostname is different for each server, but this was due to moving
the server and the problem was there prior to the move, so this problem may
be cosmetic only.

Can you suggest other ways I try and catch this problem?
TIA,
BenO