[Zope] Re: [OT] subject headings/clarification

Bill Anderson bill@libc.org
14 May 2001 18:38:32 -0600

On 14 May 2001 15:58:48 -0700, Andy McKay wrote:
> > > Advantage:
> > > - simple clear which list you are talking about.
> > > - filters people who reply directly to you rather than to the list
> (useful)
> >
> >  This is far from limited to adding a non-conmformant header munging
> > activity. Filtering ont he To/mailinst List headers will do _exactly_
> > the same thing, and those are there by nature. Adding the [foo] list
> > identifier is redundant any way you look at it. As it is redundant, it
> > is therefore unnecesary. Whether you or I like it or not, that is a
> > fact.
>
> If you reply to this message, to me alone, Outlook Express will not allow
> you to filter on the headers. The only remaining identifier is the subject
> line.

Andy, if I send  message to you directly, there is no mailing list
involved. Duh!  I can just as easily say that "If I send you a reply,
and delete the [Zope] part of the header, you don't get to filter on it,
either."

Once you pull it out of the mailing list, the policies of the list are
irrelevant. ...<nit> you are still sorting on those headers, it is just
that the mail didn't go _thorough_ the mailinglist, so it fell through
the filter. ;) </nit>

> >  But oh well, judging by previous polls, not many would participate,
> > which would leave us with looking at the archives. There are more people
> > complaining about the current setup than there are peole defending it
> > (with any reasoning other than whining).
>
> Really there's about 5 emails on this and even Im wondering why Im bothering
> replying. I think its just a simple case of people not caring enough to
> argue this point when I have more useful things...

That didn't exactly make sense ... and the number is greater than five;
this happens avery few months or so.

> >  Personally, I filter on the To and when available, the mailing list
> > headers. As such, mail send directly to me stays in my inbox, and mail
> > sent to the list goes to the list folder. By doing this, each list is in
> > it's own, isolated view, thus providing me with easy visual separation
> > of lists. In addition, it s easy to se email sent to me.
> >
> >  This provides me with every single 'advantage' you listed, thus, from
> > that standpoint, the subject munging provides none of your advantages
> > (an advantage would mean the other method(s) do _not_ provide that
> > capability), and still leaves us with your stated disadvantage. ;^)
>
> Wow great. Good for you. I get over 30 mailing lists. Some have subject

Same here. The POINT was that the stated advantages simply are not
advantages, for they do not possess those qualities uniquely.