[Zope] Re: Cron & Receiving email

Chris Beaumont cbeaumon@msri.org
Wed, 16 May 2001 09:39:48 -0700

If you have access to a machine anywhere on the net that is running
Linux or another Unix variant, here's an admittedly low-tech but very
useful solution to this problem. (for some reason, my Zope wouldnt
boot with Xron, so I was forced to look elsewhere and I found this..)

I've found that either lynx or wget running on a cron job works
*very* well for doing things like this.. (scheduling events in a Zope
somewhere, really anywhere where the cron-triggered lynx can send it
a request..the Zope can even be running on NT.. *laugh*)

Its also a great way to grab (to mirror) pages created on a Zope
server for use on other machines running conventional Apache, etc.
Use 'lynx source' running from cron on the other machine to save the
file to disk at regular intervals..This can also be a great way to
deal with situations in which certain pages get very high traffic
that it might make sense to divert away from Zope..

The only gotcha for newbies is that when running it from cron, you
have to make sure that lynx has a "term" variable set.. (vt220 always
works well for me)

You can do this by adding this to your shell script at the beginning
of the command line that invokes lynx.. There's a how-to about this
somewhere if you look around. This combination is rock solid reliable.

Chris