[Zope] Users editing properties -- howto?

Tino Wildenhain tino@wildenhain.de
Thu, 17 May 2001 09:37:37 +0200

Hi Leigh Ann,

first of all, what you want to do is not so hard as it might
look like at first. However, it requires some steps which
to describe in depth is not done in a few words in a mail.

So I can only point you in the direction.

If you dont want to have logins, you can either give the annoymous
user the right to change Properties and such or give the DTML Methods
the proxy role to do so (this is better)

You need some basic forms to edit the properties.

Your objects have methods to manipulate their properties like that:

manage_addProperty(id,value,type)

where id is the name of the property you want to create, value is
obviously the value and type is what you can select on the management-
interface (look there)

manage_changeProperties(REQUEST)

this changes the value of some properties which are already created and
which have matching values in the REQUEST

The values can get into the REQUEST object either by a form:

<input type="string" name="mynumber:int">

would result in an integer value assigned to the name "mynumber"
in REQUEST.
If you habe a property with this name, the above method would assign
the value to it.

You can also use manage_changeProperties(mynumber=5)
instead of this.

To search in your objects you could use the ZCatalog.
I believe this is all covered in the zope-book much
better then I would be able to do it here in the mail so
please look there.

See http://zdp.zope.org/ for more info.

HTH
Tino Wildenhain

--On Mittwoch, 16. Mai 2001 21:32 -0700 Leigh Ann Hildebrand