[Zope] SPAM! (was Zope Survey)

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Fri, 18 May 2001 09:53:32 +0100

Tony McDonald wrote:

> As far as I can see, this is an email sent to those people who signed up at
> Zope.org. Apart from the email sent a while ago telling people that old
> accounts on Zope.org would be purged this is the only email I (think) I've
> ever got from some automated system from Zope or DC.

Me too, but this was a very commercial feeling mail which is why it set off
alarm bells ;-)

> I would hope that this email has been sent only to those people who did say
> they were still interested in having their Zope space kept open and by doing
> this, it seems DC have *deliberately tried* not to send extraneous spam.

Hmmm... Oleg got 5 copies, I got 2, that suggests hoovered email addresses from
mailing list postings rather than email addresses from zope.org membership, for
example, but perhaps someone from DC can enlighten us?

> The survey is very small, and seems to be targetted at finding out what it
> is people want from Zope and DC, both now and in the future. Personally, I'm
> glad they did it this way, and not by asking for open-ended comment on the
> list (can you imagine the traffic levels then?).

Well, what I would have much preferred to see is a posting to the zope@zope.org
list and a news item on zope.org. Surely that would have been a much less
offensive way to advertise the survey?

cheers,

Chris