[Zope] Zope on Windows2000

Martijn Pieters mj@digicool.com
Mon, 21 May 2001 15:45:07 +0200

On Sat, May 19, 2001 at 02:01:49PM +0200, Antwan Reijnen wrote:
> how does Zope work on Windows2000? Due to sudden "political and
> strategical" reasons, the operating system of choise for a large worldwide
> community site will be windows2000... (Microsoft visited some high
> governement official lately...)

*Sigh* An official that doesn't even know how to use a bloody mouse. Or
are you talking about a more recent visit?

> However, an existing website already exists, and is build in Zope... Now we
> have to choose for reimplementing the entire site using all Microsoft
> technology, or installing Zope on a Windows2000 server.
>
> Of course, I don't want Zope to blame, when the server goes down because of
> windows or has some windows-related securityholes in it... What is your
> experience with Zope on Windows2000?
>
> Some background: the site I am talking about is likely to be hacked by
> war-criminals... It is going to be the worldwide website for Sercurity,
> Peace and Justice (seated in and hosted by "Den Hague, Legal Capital") Some
> events in the past, where war-criminals hacked sites which contained the
> "wrong" publicity material makes me believe that... Furthermore, the site
> will be very large in terms of all kind of content, delivered by many
> participants. It is believed, and the intention that the site will serve
> many visitors from all around the world...

What the hell is such a site doing on Win2K??? This should be on OpenBSD
from the word get-go.

> So: what should I do? Rely on all-microsoft technology, run Zope on
> Windows2000, or forget about Zope in the first place for such a tricky
> project ?

I have no direct experience of running Zope on Win2K, but it runs just
fine on that platform. If you have no choice about the OS, but can coose
for Zope still, I see no reason why you should switch.

--
Martijn Pieters