[Zope] Vote for Windowing Toolkit to use for Fat Client

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Wed, 23 May 2001 11:19:17 +0100

Alastair Burt wrote:

> Chris Withers <chrisw@nipltd.com> writes:
>
> > A couple of us here at NIP are playing around with building a fat client for
> > Zope
>
> What is a fat client?

The opposite of a thin client ;-)

Thin clients have no business logic happening at their end of the connection.
Fat client 'do more cool stuff', as it were. Think the Lotus Notes client, as
opposed to a web browser...

> On a related note (I think?), how hard would it be to build a Groove-like
> system with ZEO?

Wow, now there's an interesting thought :-)

> I have never used Groove, but it sounds like a useful
> groupware tool for everyman.  If the basis of Groove is incremental
> synchronisation of shared databases, then ZEO seems to offer similar
> functionality, especially if it encrypted the synchronisation protocol,
> which is what you, Chris, mentioned doing in a previous post.

Yup, if someone could make this spin work, I'd be overjoyed. However, I think
this would need some big changes at the ZODB level, so I'm not in a position to
state this as a possible aim ;-)

Maybe version 2?

cheers,

Chris