[Zope] Zope and Dreamweaver WebDAV

Jason Cunliffe jasonic@nomadicsltd.com
Thu, 24 May 2001 10:21:35 -0400

David

I have been using Dreamweaver FTP and Zope. Yes, The big problem is the lack
of suffix. This means you can not click files in the Dreamweaver Site
manager to load. But you _can_ drag Zope items onto the main Dreamweaver
window! This works in version 3 and 4. So it's pretty easy to change Zope
form styles or edit anything this way.

Using Dreamweaver with Zope makes one reconsider Zope object naming schemes.
If one is more systematic in zope adn/or use siffixes, it is much easier to
make Dreamweaver more responsive. However this does not apply to all the
builtin Zope code. It is a shame there is not a wildcard filename featre in
Dreamweaver which would allow special recognition within the Site Manager,
based on any input. For those whoh deevlop Dreamweaver Extensions, this is
probably not that complicated even.

I think nobody has really needed to - until Zope. And since so few Zopisti
are graphic design inclined, and since Zope workflow is still a raw and
undeveloped topic, this reamins sadly negelected. Stronger Dreamweaver Zope
features would make Zope a much easier 'sell' to potentital clients their
CTOs. Also a good way to make a wider audience aware of Zope.

I did not know about the WebDav extension. Thanks - I will try it.
Mostly I find WebDav rather slow. Maybe just my setup here [Win98se 500Mhz
192Mb].

Dreamweaver is a memory hog. But Version 4 is nice with Zope because of
various options for rendering pages, view HTML + source etc.. If only it
were really linked to Zope and could go 'fetch' DTML and Zope objects in a
timely manner. Still there is a lott of work one can do.

There is a Zope <dtml> tag extension for Dreamweaver. Works with 3 & 4.
Places a little DTML-START adn DTML-STOP gifs inline which you can access.
Somewhat useful dependnig on your style of use in Dreamweaver.
http://www.zope.org/Members/johanc/Dreamweaver3

Please let me know if you make progress with this

hth
./Jason
Jason CUNLIFFE = NOMADICS['Interactive Art and Technology']