[Zope] Prerequisites for a desktop IDE, or any desktop app w/ Zope

Bruce Eckel Bruce@EckelObjects.com
Thu, 24 May 2001 16:05:13 -0700

That was a long time ago. They had something in their
contract which said that, and the reason you remember it
was that there was a bit of a hullabaloo among the Delphi
developers. Borland rethought it and decided it wasn't
really necessary, and when they announced it at the
conference everyone cheered. But since then (and it was
several years ago) no one that I know of has created such
an IDE, so I think it was a pretty safe decision.

I've cc'ed my friend Marco Cantu who might have some other
input or ideas about this. He knows Delphi better than
anyone I know.

With Kylix, you could have a nice cross-platform solution.

On 5/25/01 at 12:20 AM Christian Tismer wrote:

>Christian Tismer wrote:
>> My proposal is to use Delphi, and build a tool with it
which is like
>> Delphi. The task would be just to write such an app, not
too hard
>> probably. Delphi is written in itself, as you know.
>> I have already written some generic application with
about 20 generic
>> widgets, which are all configurable at runtime. And
Delphi is able
>> to produce .dfm files at runtime and to read them back
in.
>> It is so self-contained that it is somehow waiting to be
stolen
>> as a generic app framework. I'm wondering why nobody
does it.

>> Maybe I should do this now.
>
>Errhmm, can it be that exactly this is forbidden by
Inprise?
>I somehow remember that I've read some statement that I
may

<mailto:tismer@tismer.com>
>Mission Impossible 5oftware  :     Have a break! Take a
ride on Python's
http://starship.python.net/
http://wwwkeys.pgp.net/
>PGP Fingerprint       E182 71C7 1A9D 66E9 9D15  D3CC D4D7
93E2 1FAE F6DF
>     where do you want to jump today?
http://www.stackless.com/

Most current information can be found at:
http://www.mindview.net/Etc/notes.html
Bruce Eckel    http://www.BruceEckel.com
Contains free electronic books: "Thinking in Java 2e" &
"Thinking in C++ 2e"
Please subscribe to my free newsletter -- just send any
email to:
join-eckel-oo-programming@earth.lyris.net
My schedule can be found at:
http://www.mindview.net/Calendar