[Zope] Re: [Zope-Annce] mod_pcgi2 version 2.0.0

Oleg Broytmann phd@phd.fep.ru
Fri, 25 May 2001 18:29:46 +0400 (MSD)

Hello!

   Please note - I am replying to the list, too.

On Fri, 25 May 2001, Chris Ryland wrote:
> How is this different from/better than the standard FastCGI module?
> >
> >    http://www.zope.org/Members/phd/mod_pcgi2/
> >
> >    mod_pcgi2 - Apache module for Zope/PCGI - reached version 2.0.0! This
> > version compiles and runs under Apache 2.0, as well as Apache 1.3+.

   Well, not sure about how it is "better", other that exactly the point of
announcement - it now works with Apache 2.0. Probably, not many people use
Apache 2.0 - it is in early beta stage; I even sent a bug report while
debugged my module :)
   On the other hand, it was not completely ported and tested on Windows.

   Let's talk about differences.

1. The module implements different protocol - PersistentCGI instead of
FastCGI. You don't have to use PCGI with Zope - you can run your own PCGI
(but the module was really tested only with Zope).
   http://starship.python.net/crew/jbauer/persistcgi/index.html

2. The module does its best to be compatible with Zope's SiteAccess. This
allow you to configure your virtual hosts with a bit less pain. FastCGI is
not very mature in this aspect (though it is good enough).

Oleg.
----
     Oleg Broytmann            http://phd.pp.ru/            phd@phd.pp.ru