[Zope] RE: Vote for Windowing Toolkit to use for Fat Client

Bill Anderson bill@libc.org
25 May 2001 19:15:07 -0600

On 22 May 2001 11:33:58 -0400, Jason Cunliffe wrote:
> I think everyone agrees that wxPython is a much nicer GUI than TKinter to
> use to program with. Plus the BoaConstructor it makes a natural match for
> FatZopeClient.
>
> COM
> On Win 32 it is quite easy to use COOM inside wxPython. this means embedding
> Internet Explorer control, MSOffice stuff, Flash Controls, etc can save a
> lot of time, gain rapid {Windoze} built-in functionality. Prototyping can be
> very fast. For businesses that neeed to connect to existing Win32 like
> Access+ODBC, a FatZopeClient like this would make very compelling
> application. It is very nice for to use IE when you don't have all MS
> toolbars and logo in your face :-)

Onion other hand, I've heard tell that python using COM doesn't 'freeze'
well on windows. So if you wanted to make a single executable out of it,
it would be bad mojo.

Allegedly, for cross platform COM, there is good progress being made
with PyXPCOM, but I have no personal experience to relate.

Just soem thoughts ..
Bill