[Zope] Zope won't start

Leonard Sitongia sitongia@qwest.net
Sun, 27 May 2001 20:30:42 -0600

I found a fix to the "no module new" from searching the web: comment
out the Python Modules/Setup configuration of "new newmodule.c".

I couldn't get around the PyMethod_Type problem, so I built Python
and Zope (2.2.2) from the ports.  Now I have Zope running, but
I can't use the manage interface because the zopemaster password
doesn't work, even when I reset it with post-install instructions of

python zpasswd.py -u <username> -p <passwd> -e CLEARTEXT access

Did my attempts at source-install with it's "admin" account password
corrupt the acl for the ports-install?  Something wrong with cleartext
authentication?  This authentication stuff is a hurdle.  I think I understand
that using zpasswd creates and "emergency" account, which can't do
everything.  Why do different "distrubutions" have different management
passwords?  Is there a concept of a "root" account that has authority to
do everything?  Does it have a unique name?  Is this different from the
emergency account?  Whew!

==Leonard