[Zope] Difference between zope and apache

Zac Stevens zstevens@connect.com.au
Mon, 28 May 2001 17:09:17 +1000

On Mon, May 28, 2001 at 09:01:20AM +0200, Jan-Frode Myklebust wrote:
| In apache the server would return a location header like:
|
| 	Location: http://example.com/myDirectory/
|
| and then my browser would know it should ask for
| http://example.com/myDirectory/my.css
|
| Zope doesn't seem to set the location header, so asking for
|
| 	http://example.com/myDirectory/
| 	http://example.com/myDirectory
|
| returns different results if the index_html contains relative URLs
| below /myDirectory/.
|
| Bug or feature?

Feature.

If you look closely, you'll see that Apache actually issues an HTTP
redirect to the resource with the trailing slash.  It knows when to do this
as it can look on the filesystem to see if you are referring to a directory
or a file, and fix up your request accordingly.

Zope, being a hierarchy of objects supporting inheritance et al, cannot
make the same decisions in a consistantly reliable manner.

Zac