[Zope] Help on downloading data to a file

Tres Seaver tseaver@palladion.com
Tue, 29 May 2001 09:19:14 -0400

"Bruce Pearson &/or Gwyn Ingham" <BruceP@wn.com.au> wrote:

> I want to download generated data to a file on the users computer when they
> press a button.
>
> The button will call a python script which will generate the data. I'm not
> sure how to get the browser to bring up a download dialog and not just
> display the data.
>
> I am trying this.
>
> data = 'This is the data that is generated.'
>
> context.REQUEST.RESPONSE.setHeader('Content-Type', 'application/data')
> context.REQUEST.RESPONSE.setHeader('Content-Length', len(printed))

                                                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^
Typo?  I think that should be 'len(data)'

> context.REQUEST.RESPONSE.setHeader('Content-Disposition',
> 			   'inline;filename=Data.dat')

                             ^^^^^^
Doesn't an 'inline' disposition tell the browser that you want it to
try to display the data, rather than save to disk?

> return data
>
> This display the data in the browser, but doesn't download it.

Hope this helps,

Tres.