[Zope] ZEO start.py fails to start ZSS on Debian...

Tres Seaver tseaver@palladion.com
Wed, 30 May 2001 08:19:41 -0400

sean.upton@uniontrib.com wrote:

> I am running Debian testing (SPARC) with the 2.3.2-2 Zope deb, trying to
> install ZEO, and am hung up on the storage server install becuase, even in
> the simplest of cases, I cannot get lib/python/ZEO/start.py to do
> anything... I get the same issue with ZEO 1.0b1 and 1.0b3.  There are a
> bunch of
> 	try: ...
> 	except: pass
> statements in the start.py code, and I'm sure I'm getting hit with one of
> them; it's too bad there are not more debugging messages in there...
>
> Since there are no tracebacks, below is the best I have (a shell transcript)
>
> Under Debian, Zope is installed at /usr/lib/zope as a program root (and thus
> ZEO, unpacked here, with ZEO1.0b3/ZEO copied to lib/python, so that there is
> a lib/python/ZEO).  /var/lib/zope is the instance home and contains a var
> (/var/lib/zope/var) directory with Data.fs, log, and pid files.
>
> Any help/thoughts would be appreciated...

I would probably try to find the errant spot using PDB, e.g.,
I would drop the following line into the 'main()' function:

     import pdb; pdb.set_trace()

Then, when you run the start script using '-D', the debugger will stop
at that point, and you can single step, print variables, etc., using
the "standard Python debugger",

  http://www.python.org/doc/1.5.2p2/lib/module-pdb.html

If that doesn't help, or if you've found a bug, then I would ask
for further help on the zodb-dev@zope.org list.

Tres.