[Zope] VersionLockError: version object no longer exists

Michel Pelletier michel@digicool.com
Thu, 31 May 2001 15:45:36 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 31 May 2001, Randy McLaughlin wrote:

> While working through the tutorial and introductory exercises, I appear to
> have pointed myself into a corner.  I worked some versioning examples and
> thought I had closed the version.  I resumed my study and eventually
> returned to Zope to try adding a new object in the root folder.  This
> resulted in a VersionLockError message and stack dump.  I think I've
> figured out that this is a rather dramatic way of saying "this folder is
> locked by another version".  I'm not sure how the root folder ended up
> locked, but it does show that icon.

It's locked because you probably added an object to, or removed an object
from the root folder, thus changing (and hence locking) the root.

> I then tried to undo my way out of the problem.

That's the wrong way to do it...

> This undid the creation of
> the version object, but not the objects locked by it.

... for this reason.  You should either commit or discard versions when
things are locked.

> Now I can't get into
> the version, because the version does not exist.  I tried creating a new
> version object by the same name and was able to do so but it did not end up
> being associated with the locked folder.
>
> It would be easy to simply uninstall Zope and reinstall it.  I have nothing
> invested in the current configuration.  But I am uneasy about the
> possibility of this happening later when I do have a site built and in
> production.  I also suspect I will not be the last one bit by this problem.

Nor the first, but versions are tricky by nature.  You can fix this by
gonig to the Control Panel and clicking on 'version managment' (or
something like that).  There you'll see your version, and you can commit
it or discard it from there.

-Michel