[Zope] Redirect after login...

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Sun, 4 Nov 2001 19:44:39 +0100

Rob Foster writes:
 > When of my site's users authenticates, I'd like to immediately redirect
 > them to their own home page in the system... In other words, upon
 > becoming a member of the system, each user will have their own instance
 > of a "member" class and upon authenticating, I want to forward them to
 > the "View" view of their class.
Are you sure, you want that?

I would be very angry, when that would happen, because it would make
bookmarks to my private pages less effective.

  Usually, the authentication (login) request comes up when I
  access a protected page. When I log in, I want to see *THIS*
  page and not my home page...

But follow up messages indicate, that you do not mean "authenticate"
but "register" (i.e. "become a new user"). In this case:

  You cannot do it with HTTP basic authentication, you need
  a form of cookie authentication. The reason: HTTP authentication
  is not controlled by the server; its a client service, it
  wants to pop up its login dialog to get the user credentials.

  When you are ready to use cookie based authentication,
  then you need to tell the User Folder to set the cookies
  for the newly created user (or do it yourself).
  How this works depends on the User Folder you are using.

  You can search the mailing list archives: I once helped
  someone to do this with CookieCrumbler (but do not
  know out of hand how it goes...).

Dieter