[Zope] Installing ZPatterns: The Plot Thickens...

Ben Ocean zope@thewebsons.com
Mon, 12 Nov 2001 11:46:37 -0800

At 10:48 AM 11/12/01 -0800, you wrote:
>>[root@hermes ZPatterns]# make
>>gcc -fPIC -g -O2 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -I/usr/include/python2.1
>>-I/usr/include/python2.1 -DHAVE_CONFIG_H  -I../../ZODB
>>-I../../../Components/ExtensionClass -c ././DynPersist.c -o ./DynPersist.o
>>In file included from ././DynPersist.c:1:
>>../../ZODB/cPersistence.h:89: ExtensionClass.h: No such file or directory
>>make: *** [DynPersist.o] Error 1
>>I would have assumed the aforementioned file would be part of the
>>standard distro. Is there something else I need to install?
>

>No, but the Setup file in the ZPatterns directory has become out-of-sync
>with the rest of the Zope distribution, apparently.  All you need to do is
>edit the "Setup" file and append "/src" to the end of the second line,
>which specifies where ExtensionClass.h will be found.

I ended up simply editing cPersistence.h to point directly to
ExtensionsClass.h (which I located with find).

>Another option would be to consider installing TransactionAgents,
>available at
>http://www.cat-box.net/steve/TransactionAgents-0.0.1.tar.gz.  Info is
>available at
>http://lists.zope.org/pipermail/zodb-dev/2001-July/001182.html.  This
>package modifies ZPatterns somewhat, and in the process it fixed the Setup
>file and it fixes a bug that will prevent LoginManager from
>working.  Beware, though, this is early version software.  It's working
>quite well for me so far, but YMMV.

I bit. I only have this installed to try and get another product (EMarket)
working, which relies on it. We'll see how it goes :)

>This is definitely all much harder than it needs to be.  I'm in the
>process of writing a HOWTO to get LoginManager working with a recent
>version of Zope... it's possible, but it's not fun.  Does anyone know if
>LoginManager is still being maintained?  It sure would be helpful to have
>it at least repackaged with the components necessary for it to work with
>Python2.1+ an Zope2.4+.  If nobody's maintaining it, I'll look into
>repackaging it myself, if the licenses allow.

Looks like a cool product!
Thanks,
BenO