[Zope] Experience with Zope and Access ?

Thomas B. Passin tpassin@mitretek.org
Tue, 13 Nov 2001 13:32:43 -0500

[Schmidt, Allen J.]

> On Windows I use mysqlfront to play with my MySQL server. First I tried
the
> probable offending query in the TEST panel in Zope. Took about as long as
> the page itself takes to load. Then I pulled the query and put it into the
> mysqlfront query panel and replaced the dates and date calculations with
> hard coded 'dates' (really just strings)
>
> Still takes the same amount of time to run.
>
> Now I know where the problem is.....Looks to be a query optimization
> problem. Odd, though, that the same query - verbatim - FLYS using
> Access/ODBC! Go figure...

Different databases can take different optimization strategies.  With
SQLAnywhere, one of the most effective things you can do - if you are using
lots of joins - is to add redundant constraints in  the WHERE clause.

Another thing that might have happened is that your mySQL database might not
have the indexes that were built on Access, or might need some more.  You
need to craft the query to force the use of indexes if you want speed.

Cheers,

Tom P