[Zope] Problems with Zope 2.4.3 package for Mac OSX

Richard Jones richard@bizarsoftware.com.au
Tue, 20 Nov 2001 09:49:05 +1100

On Tuesday 20 November 2001 09:35, Jim Harrison wrote:
> on 11/19/01 4:22 PM, Richard Jones at richard@bizarsoftware.com.au wrote:
> >> 2. There appears to be a path problem with the M2Crypto module. Both the
> >> https and secure webdav modules fail to find it on the attempted import.
> >> A search reveals an M2Crypto directory containing _m2crypto.py, but
> >> explicitly specifying that path doesn't help.
> >
> > I've just checked, and everything looks OK to me. What happens...
>
> Well, I deleted the Zope folder (this morning's install) from the
> Applications directory and reinstalled Zope from the package.
> Interestingly, the installer did not create a var directory (I deleted and
> reinstalled a couple of times with the same result).

That'll be because there's a receipt for the previous install in your
/Library/Receipts folder (a sub-directory with the same name as the install
package) and therefore the installer thinks you're upgrading, not installing.
Thus it doesn't run the post-install script. I'll have to include a
post-upgrade script I suppose...

> So on startup Zope
> complained about the lack of data.fs and zProcessManager.pid files. I
> created a var folder and copied these files in from my Zope 2.4.0
> installation, plus the Products needed to support the stuff in data.fs
> (Squishdot, TinyTables, Zwiki and Zchat).

The "create instance" button (or whatever it is - I don't have it in front it
me) is for. I can't even remember how far I got with that... I have a feeling
that it's mostly there. You can't switch between instances using the
drop-down menu at the bottom though, that's definitely not done...

> Then I fired it up on port 8080
> and it started OK. HTTP, WebDAV, HTTPS and FTP seemed to work fine, though
> some browsers have issues with the certificate identity in HTTPS (I need to
> do some reading on that).

You'll need to get a "real" cert (ie. buy one) to stop it complaining. The
SSL works fine - it encrypts - but the browser can't be _really_ sure that
the server is who it says it is :)

> It's also interesting that the installer did not ask for a user name and
> password during the installs subsequent to deleting the Zope folder, and
> the newly installed Zope used the name and password that was previously
> entered. This would appear to mean that some configuration files are being
> kept in places other than the Zope folder. Perhaps a second write in this
> or these locations fixed the path problem.

The user thing is a part of the instance creation component of the
controller. That is, it'll ask the same thing if you hit "create instance"

> The bottom line is that I'm not now seeing the problem with M2Crypto that I
> saw this morning, though I promise that it did happen.

Be great if you could reproduce the problem :)

    Richard