[Zope] New Zope site... maybe

Paul Winkler slinkp23@yahoo.com
Tue, 20 Nov 2001 03:15:31 -0500

On Tue, Nov 20, 2001 at 08:33:48AM +0100, Lennart Regebro wrote:
> From: "Paul Winkler" <slinkp23@yahoo.com>
> > I stumbled on this page today:
> > www.desktoplinux.com
> >
> > A pretty nice-looking portal.  I can't find any mention of what
> > they're running, but something about it said "zope" to me...
>
> Nope.

I'm having doubts too... but I don't agree with all your arguments:

> Three immedeate giveaways:
> 1. They are using index.html files. Never seen a Zope site doing that. It
> would be majorly weird.

Could be just a URL-rewriting scheme on a proxy server, for the
purpose of familiar-looking URLs.

> 2. The polls are made via /cgi-bin/ .

Mix-n-match... they've got an apache front end, it's not hard to
combine zope with cgi-bin stuff that way.

> 3. Type /manage and see what happens... :-)

Could be just hidden by proxy server. Redirect to a non-existent page.

> > Chop off .html, and replace it with /index_html:
> > http://www.desktoplinux.com/products/index/index_html
> > http://www.desktoplinux.com/articles/AT9545254683/index_html
> >
> > No matter what, you get the same thing as if you went to:
> > http://www.desktoplinux.com/index_html
>
> Yeah, but index_html is the default, so then you would get the same with
> /products/index_html as you would with /products/, not just /.

Damn, you're right. OK, now I'm convinced. :)

And I think figured out what's really going on with their site:

I just discovered that all of the following are equivalent:
http://www.desktoplinux.com/index.html
http://www.desktoplinux.com/index_html
http://www.desktoplinux.com/indexBhtml
http://www.desktoplinux.com/biosadboisoiadbj/index_html
http://www.desktoplinux.com/index_htmlaaaaaaaaab1adbasasbasdbwebaan23han.foo

Looks like there is some kind of URL rewriting going on, and I'm
betting it's using a very loose regular expression, like
"/index.html".  Try that with python's re.search().... it'll match all
of the above.  They forgot to escape the dot and to specify that
"html" comes at the end.

--

paul winkler
home:  http://www.slinkp.com