[Zope] New Zope site... maybe

Lennart Regebro lennart@regebro.nu
Tue, 20 Nov 2001 17:07:04 +0100

From: "Markus Schaber" <markus.schaber@student.uni-ulm.de>
> So the directory/ and directory/index.html may be two really different
> contents. And I personally prefer to point directly to the file.

Sure, but now we are talking Zope. And with Zope, directory/ and
directory/index_html is usually the same thing (and should IMO always be the
same thing).

> Additionally, I don't have much influence on the way other people create
> external links to our webpages :-(

Exactly. Thats why redirections are A Good Thing. But they should be done
right. There is no reason to configure the web so that the new site has
exactly the same URL's as the old. The old rather should redirect the old
URLs to the correct place, instead of redirecting the new URL's to the old
place.

See for example http://www.regebro.nu/lennart/NetWare.html, which redirects
you to http://lennart.regebro.nu/netware/
No problemo. Very nice, and very easy to do with Zope. That is the best way
to handle old link: Make sure they work, by redirecting them to the new
links. Transparent for the user, easy for the webmanagers and gives you the
correct, new URL.