[Zope] Urgent help needed: Zope falls over under moderate load

Michael Fraase mfraase@farces.com
Tue, 20 Nov 2001 11:39:47 -0600

So yesterday my site got slashdotted. Zope fell over within minutes. A
day later it's still falling over within an hour or so.

I have 512Kb DSL (the outbound channel is 512Kb; the inbound channel is
768Kb). I figured that bandwidth would be saturated or that Windows 2000
Pro would melt long before Zope would fail, but that has proven not to
be the case.

Here's the particulars of my installation:

Pentium III 850MHz with 768Mb RAM
MS Windows 2000 Pro with current patches and service packs
Zope 2.4.3 running as a service
Squishdot 1.3.0
512Kb bandwidth

Here's the registry start parameters:

"C:\PROGRA~1\FARCES~1\bin\python.exe" "C:\PROGRA~1\FARCES~1\z2.py" -S
-w80 -W9800

I don't know what the -S is; -w80 sets the port Zope's web server
listens on; and -W9800 sets the WebDAV port.

Zope just shuts down and closes port 80 on what seems to be very
moderate load. We're talking a peak of less than 60,000 hits, a peak of
125Mb bandwidth usage, just over 58,000 page views, and a peak of 4013
visitors.

What I've been doing is to manually stop the Zope service and restart
it, but that's ridiculous. At this rate, clients are going to laugh at
me when I suggest using Zope for a web project.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm digestified, so please cc me in any response.

Thanks kindly.

--
Michael Fraase
ARTS & FARCES LLC