[Zope] Re: Line Wrap and the Zope Community?

Ron theotiwii@earthlink.net
23 Nov 2001 09:41:17 -0800

Oliver:

I agree with you.

But first, your email attributes (accuses? :-) Simon Michael of
authoring the content you are responding to (see your message). Is that
a software issue or did the user have to break a template designed to
promote Visual Alacrity? (This is humor... don't forget to smile :-)

> Again, this has really really nothing to do with zope.
> The culprit on the above page are long sentences in a <pre> tag:

I understand that, I agree... Zope should allow a USER all the rope they
want, but should Zope be hanging every person that walks by?

Let me exit this topic with a trip through a standard paper based
Publisher:

1. Select an appropriate Template
2. Import/generate data.
3. Tag paragraphs with appropriate styles (usually graphically
demonstrated, always matched to the template).

3b? Play with the addition of visual teasers from the menus.

4. Press Print Preview (did I forget Press Spell check?)
5. Correct problems, repeat step 4.
6. Print

... and, if I want, I can subvert the template to produce a TOTALLY
REPULSIVE product! But I would have to do that actively, NOT PASSIVELY!

Let Zope be powerful, but let TEMPLATES do their JOB! If Zope has to be
enhanced to ENFORCE a template, or if a debugger / checker must exist to
Demonstrate the results of a template... Wouldn't that be a responsible
enhancement / addition to Zope?

Oliver. I agree with you, But can't Zope do both, let the knowledgeable
user hang themselves, but protect, or at least lend assistance to those
who are not so savvy?

I'm not trying to be irritating. I just think there is a core of
irresponsibly in the Zope mind set.

I remember when a 1.0 release implied a product that had some polish...
meanwhile I'm chasing hex color codes in 1.1 CMF to make a page
presentable. How can that behavior be called responsible in a "One Point
Anything" product who's PRIMARY PURPOSE is to present VISUAL
INFORMATION? *** H E L L O *** ???

Oliver may correctly identify this as a Zope-web issue but I've
developed sufficient software AND hardware products in my past to know
that what "_I_" am speaking to is basic to the product design and _NOT_
it's implementation.

OK, I'm exhausted with this, any point I have tried to share has either
reached its audience or is causing unintended irritation to good people.
I apologize for this.

Thank you for letting me air my personal opinions and for your polite
and constructive responses.

-Ron