[Zope] Newbie Design Issue

Jeremy Lowery jslowery@hotmail.com
Sun, 25 Nov 2001 01:20:54 -0600

I've just got involved with Zope, but I'm fairly versued in traditional web
development, and python.

I'm currently working on an app that tracks seting up computers based on a
"check list" type deal, and who was responsible for it. If this were just a
static "check list" of things that had to be done, this would be easy, but
it needs the facilities to allow users to make new check lists, edit them,
and destroy them.

Since I'm not an old pro at Zope, I figured that I would just use some
ZClasses to represent these things. My question is, what would be the
easiest (as far as time, and need of indepth knowledge of Zope) way to do
this? The ideas I have are...to let users enter in Check List items and then
dynamically generate Zope Objects that represent each check list...Or
another way would be to have Zope objects for all the check list items, and
the check lists, and then more objects for the actual data stored in the
check lists (Like who installed this piece of software, and what is the
Computer's Service and Serial numbers.)

As I said, the main purpose of this post is to get design ideas.
Origionally, I had set this up in a RDBMS but that would cause too much
overhead.

Jeremy