[Zope] WebDAV locking problem, some more enlightment

Joachim Schmitz js@aixtraware.de
Mon, 26 Nov 2001 15:15:13 +0100 (CET)

Andreas,

On Mon, 26 Nov 2001, Andreas Jung wrote:

> Joachim,
>
> Microsoft meanwhile confirmed the read-only "problem" with .html. In th=
eir
> opinion it is not really a problem (but they don't call it a feature):
>
> <quote>
> I called the HTML file now in Internet Explorer 6.0 and clicked onto th=
> Hyperlink named "testing". The Microsoft Word Application started after=
wards
> and asked me also for username and password. The document downloaded th=
en
> and was shown correctly. The only difference to the test before is, tha=
> Word says the document is read-only! This is correct, too! The reason f=
or it
> is, that a web download occurred and the file is not directly located o=
nto
> the web server but it's in the local Internet Explorer cache and read-o=
nly!
> </quote>

So what does this mean ? I don't understand it.

It is also a different behavior, depending on the WEB-DAV-server.

Server      Wordocument    HTML
---------------------------------
IIS         rw             rw
--------------------------------
Apache      rw             rw
--------------------------------
Zope        rw             r

The client is always Word 2000 under Windows. So the Zope/Word combinatio=
is the only one, which opens a HTM-doc in readonly mode.

I was successful in achieving the same behavior wiht apache and mod-dav, =
by
setting the executable mode on the HTM file. As I described already in an
earlier mail. I recorded the communication and the only difference I coul=
find is in the HTTP-response to the GET request:

GET /dav/noxbitset.htm HTTP/1.1
Accept: */*
Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate
Host: 10.2.1.1