[Zope] can I move my zope site off zope?

Jacob Singh jacob@prisonbooks.org
Tue, 27 Nov 2001 11:55:04 -0500

Well, I'd probably use PHP/MySQL because of it's strong following and
general knowledge.  Also because of it's ease of portability.  Also,
it's easier because I know SQL programming and ZODB seems like a bitch
work with because dtml is so limiting (to me), probably because of my
ignorance of it.

-----Original Message-----
From: zope-admin@zope.org [mailto:zope-admin@zope.org] On Behalf Of
Lennart Regebro
Sent: Tuesday, November 27, 2001 11:03 AM
To: zope@zope.org
Subject: Re: [Zope] can I move my zope site off zope?

From: "Jacob Singh" <jacob@prisonbooks.org>
> What I am worried about though is if I build my
> product without SQL(it is a task management/portal suite),  it will
> forever live on Zope

Yeah? And the problem is? :-)

> and getting to that data from other programs will
> be next to impossible.

Well, you can talk to a ZODB externally too, so next to impossible:
Nah...
> I just want to make sure it doesn't get me in a proprietary bind.

It's open source, so that risk is minimal. :-)

To me, your logic seems to go like this:
"a) If I put my data in a ODBM like ZODB, I can't access it from a
RDBM-environment.
 b) If I put my data into an SQL database I won't use the full power of
Zope.
 c) Therefore I should not use Zope at all".

I don't really agree with the logic in that. :-) If you decide to put
your
data into an RDBM environment to get SQL access then you will not get
object
oriented benefits no matter what you do. You will have to choose: Go
fully
OO, or wrap relational data in an OO suit. In any case, Zope seems to
work
fin (although I don't know anything about your conserns when it comes to
distributred site. Maybe somebody else can fill in there).

Just for interest: What other products are you considering besides Zope?