[Zope] ZServer -> Apache/mod_proxy -> mod_gzip: Possible???

Oliver Bleutgen myzope@gmx.net
Wed, 28 Nov 2001 10:21:17 +0100

Paul Horbal wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I've searched high and low but I can't find any documentation for
> setting up mod_gzip to work with a Zope server (ZServer) being served
> through Apache's mod_proxy with the ProxyPass directives.
>
> Is this possible at the moment?  Is there maybe a Zope product that
> handles gzipping served pages?  This seems like a really good idea...
>
> I have mod_gzip working with Apache - other VirtualHosts on the same
> machine that aren't proxied serve gzipped pages - but apparently
> mod_proxy and mod_gzip don't like to play in the same sandbox.  Other
> people have reported success using mod_rewrite instead...  Is there some
> sort of performance hit you sustain in this case?  If not, how do you
> set that up?  =)

HI Paul,

I use mod_proxy + mod_gzip and it works great - if it weren't for the
damn browsers ;-). Seriously, there can be some gotchas, but all
encountered were client side problems.

I use mod proxy, invoced via a rewrite rule (RewriteRule .... [P])
The only thing which might be special is
mod_gzip_item_include handler proxy-server

There are some examples on the mod_gzip homepage&mailing lists.

cheers,
oliver